Parasite For Best Picture?

quoththeraven
This topic is 1047 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I haven't seen (and don't expect to see) any of the other movies that are the subjects of threads, so I thought I'd start one on Parasite, which is poised to be the first South Korean film to be nominated for a Best International Film (formerly Best Foreign Film) Oscar, a category it will likely win. (After years of movies that deserved nomination but didn't receive any.) It's already known for being the first South Korean film to win the Palme d'Or at Cannes.

But more interesting (to me, at least) is the possibility that Parasite will receive nominations in such categories as Best Picture, Best Director, acting and screenplay categories. After all, it won Best Picture and Best Supporting Actor from the LA Film Critics, has a SAG nomination for best ensemble, and was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film, Best Director and Best Screenplay Golfen Globes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2019/12/11/sag-award-nominations-make-oscar-odds-even-more-likely-for-parasite/#2bc2c9bd3781

What with South Korean pop group BTS (and Super M) topping the Billboard 200, it would be exciting to see a South Korean movie be nominated or named Best Picture in America. (Seeing as the Academy Awards, like the Grammys, are American awards, not international ones.)

As for the movie itself: it's about economic inequality. There's a certain slickness and coincidence to the plot that bothered me a little, and there's a tonal shift about halfway through that changes it from farce and dark humor to tragedy. Otherwise it's really magnificent and observant, with a few bonkers characters and some neat cinematography and use of symbolism and dialogue like "the best plan is no plan" (in context, it absolutely makes sense). I wasn't a big fan of the only other Bong Joon Ho film I've seen, the English language Snowpiercer, but this is great.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not? Here is a list of submissions, only a few days to the first shortlist:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_submissions_to_the_92nd_Academy_Awards_for_Best_International_Feature_Film

I'll admit, I quite liked Snowpiercer, there was definitely a distinctive style to the film, which is hard to pull off without taking people out of the cinematic experience, so my hat is off to him.

How Bong Joon-ho Invented the Weird World of Parasite

No one's mentioned Bong Joon Ho's movie The Host, the central conceit of which is based on an actual incident in which the US military disposed of contaminated water in the Han River. When I went looking a couple of years ago, I couldn't find a way to watch it, but there are a pair of interconnected music videos that spoof it:

(Mithra Jin is a terrific dinosaur/monster, I'm just saying.)

Edited by quoththeraven

• 2 weeks later...

I was riveted. I hope it gets nominated and win Best Picture. Totally deserving. It's a socially conscious movie that delivers its message loud and clear without being preachy and hammering the audience's head with it. Seen it three times and just amazed at how tightly constructed the screenplay is and how fluidly it was filmed. No wasted scene. Even seemingly throwaway lines about "Cub Scout", "eating for two", "it's a deluge", "American Indian", even "subway smell" take on crucial meaning in the story's twists and turns. I hope it wins Best Ensemble at the SAG and nominations for the actors playing the Kim father and daughter at the OSCARS.

While I have not yet seen Parasite, I was very pleased to see how well "Once Upon A Time . . . in Hollywood" did at the Globes. Tarantino did a remarkable job capturing Hollywood in the late 60's. And, I loved how the fairy tale ended. Left the theatre with a smile on my face.

Thank you for this. At this point I'm considering going to see The Host.

I saw The Host this afternoon. Lots of fun but also includes social commentary, especially about government coverups and dishonesty; since the "virus" started with dangerous chemicals from a US military morgue dumped into sinks leading to the Han River, inevitably some of the fingers point to the US. The ending isn't completely bleak but it's not happy happy either. Nor is it as smooth or accomplished as Parasite.

Still not entirely sure what the creature/monster that causes all the problems is, or is supposed to be. It seems to be a combination of different critters, both real and make-believe.

Just to update: Parasite has six Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture:

Best International Film (considered a shoo-in even though this is the first movie in Korea's 101 year film history to even be nominated)

Best Picture

Best Director (Bong Joon Ho)

Best Original Screenplay

Best Editing

Best Production Design

Notably, like other films before it, Parasite didn't receive any acting nominations even though, presumably, any film worthy of a Best Picture nomination (or even a Best Director nomination) includes excellent acting. To quote Vulture/NY Magazine writer E. Alex Jung:

I also want to add a word about Parasite, which got six nominations including Best Picture and Best Director. Historic! A first for a Korean film! Still, it doesn’t feel like it quite matches the scope of the achievement. No nomination for score. Nothing for cinematography, despite this being quite possibly the most cinematique film of the year. And very pointedly, there were no nominations for any of the actors in the movie — not Song Kang Ho as the tortured father or the dry comedy of Park So-dam or Lee Jeong-eun as the housekeeper who’s really the hinge for the crucial turn midway through the film. It’s boring to talk about, but it must be said that there’s a persistent prejudice against Asian actors within Hollywood: It’s why studio executives say they can’t green-light a film with an Asian lead, and why an Asian actor has never been nominated in Best Actor or Best Actress. (See: Awkwafina, 2020.) Even Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which earned a raft of nominations in 2001, didn’t garner any for the incredible performances by Zhang Ziyi or Michelle Yeoh. There’s an old prejudice at work here that sees Asian people as technical workers — hence the praise for Bong Joon Ho — and refuses to see us as fully human.

https://www.vulture.com/amp/2020/01/oscar-nominations-2020-still-so-white.html?__twitter_impression=true

And, as Bong Joon Ho has said - to E. Alex Jung - "The Oscars are not an international film festival. They're very local."

[MEDIA=twitter]1216716375600832514[/MEDIA]

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't seen (and don't expect to see) any of the other movies that are the subjects of threads, so I thought I'd start one on Parasite, which is poised to be the first South Korean film to be nominated for a Best International Film (formerly Best Foreign Film) Oscar, a category it will likely win. (After years of movies that deserved nomination but didn't receive any.) It's already known for being the first South Korean film to win the Palme d'Or at Cannes.

But more interesting (to me, at least) is the possibility that Parasite will receive nominations in such categories as Best Picture, Best Director, acting and screenplay categories. After all, it won Best Picture and Best Supporting Actor from the LA Film Critics, has a SAG nomination for best ensemble, and was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film, Best Director and Best Screenplay Golfen Globes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2019/12/11/sag-award-nominations-make-oscar-odds-even-more-likely-for-parasite/#2bc2c9bd3781

What with South Korean pop group BTS (and Super M) topping the Billboard 200, it would be exciting to see a South Korean movie be nominated or named Best Picture in America. (Seeing as the Academy Awards, like the Grammys, are American awards, not international ones.)

As for the movie itself: it's about economic inequality. There's a certain slickness and coincidence to the plot that bothered me a little, and there's a tonal shift about halfway through that changes it from farce and dark humor to tragedy. Otherwise it's really magnificent and observant, with a few bonkers characters and some neat cinematography and use of symbolism and dialogue like "the best plan is no plan" (in context, it absolutely makes sense). I wasn't a big fan of the only other Bong Joon Ho film I've seen, the English language Snowpiercer, but this is great.

Wow, what a night Parasite had at the Academy Awards. All well deserved, I’m so glad I went out of my way to watch it just a week ago!