2 Perfect Nights in Bangkok, 411

rickx
This topic is 1724 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am taking advantage of the low buisness class, Q-suits fare to Asia on Qatar Airlines. $2500.00, not bad for the best business class around.

Looking for suggestions to build 2 perfect days while stopping over.

Best massage parlor, Full service.

Best stage sex show.

Best people watching areas to eat

Best luxury hotels with a fun Vibe. Hotels are so cheap there it will be fun to stay at a place I normally would not book.

Best Day time sightseeing.

I have read all the posts but I am looking to get updates for my trip early next year.

I am taking advantage of the low buisness class, Q-suits fare to Asia on Qatar Airlines. $2500.00, not bad for the best business class around.

Looking for suggestions to build 2 perfect days while stopping over.

Best massage parlor, Full service.

Best stage sex show.

Best people watching areas to eat

Best luxury hotels with a fun Vibe. Hotels are so cheap there it will be fun to stay at a place I normally would not book.

Best Day time sightseeing.

I have read all the posts but I am looking to get updates for my trip early next year.

Go to https://boytoy.com; click on the icon that is in the upper left corner of screen; then check out the "Asia Section" for travel. Some ex pats live in Bangkok and periodically post. Visitors also have posted on a regular basis. Your query should be addressed.

[...like your questions but cannot answer since I was last there in 2008 or perhaps it was 2010. ...can't remember the exact years in this century.]

Edited by Axiom2001

I was in Bangkok for 3 weeks I late December early January. This was about my 12th (at a guess) visit since 2000 although my first in about 4 years. I found the scene had changed dramatically for the worse. The go go bars have fewer boys, the famous muscle bar Tawan was a tragic shadow of its former self. There were very few men and most were older, overweight, heavily tattooed. Plenty of customers mind you but the place was very dispiriting. Anyone walking in not knowing what to expect would have assumed it was a chubby chasers bar. Since my January visit there have been a lot of changes. Soi Twilight has closed and the bars dispersed. There is a lot of discussion on this on the Boytoy website which I commend you to read. However there is general agreement that the Internet has changed everything and Bangkok will never return to its former glory. I love Bangkok and the Thai people and I will certainly return but with reduced expectations.

• 2 weeks later...

2 days is not much time, especially if you have to deal with jetlag at all.

Lots of websites with sightseeing ideas out there. If it's your first time the Grand Palace is worthwhile, just be careful of the "it's closed today" scammers - although I think there's been a bit of crackdown on them in recent years. While you're in the neighborhood Wat Po is also worth a visit.

I always say I love the chaos of Bangkok, but frankly even that has lost some of its luster in recent years.

As for massage, there are lots of places. Depends on the kind of guys you like and your budget to an extent. And it's frequently a matter of chemistry with the masseur in any event.

The gay Thailand forums will have lots of info on everything Thailand.

Was in Bangkok last week and gotta agree with a lot of the ol' timers that it's definitely not what it used to be.

The gogo and sex shows have always been robotic and not even remotely sexy, but now it feels as if the visual selection of guys is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Was out and about for a few nights and didn't see one truly attractive looking gent.

The Grindr scene, however, is insane. If you're into hot Asian guys, your cup runneth over.

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

Hotels...

Prices are catching up in Bangkok for true luxury properties. Hotels like the new Rosewood are setting the bar higher, allowing previously cheaper luxury hotels to raise their prices as well. It's akin to how the airline industry runs in the US.

Btw, the Rosewood is worth every baht. It's beautiful. The rooms are spacious. The staff is awesome.

Hotels...

Prices are catching up in Bangkok for true luxury properties. Hotels like the new Rosewood are setting the bar higher, allowing previously cheaper luxury hotels to raise their prices as well. It's akin to how the airline industry runs in the US.

Btw, the Rosewood is worth every baht. It's beautiful. The rooms are spacious. The staff is awesome.

I never cease to be amazed at the bewildering range of “high end” hotels in Bangkok and they continue to sprout like mushrooms. The older 5 star hotels have had to upgrade to stay in the race eg The Athenee where I stayed in December/January very good by the way. I find the rates fairly reasonable. Compare Bangkok to Rio. I defy anyone to name a city in the world of comparable standing that has a more appalling choice of hotels. Things have improved marginally in the past 10 years with the renovation of the Copacabana Palace (some of the reviews of the rooms at the Copa pre renovation had to be read to be believed), and the construction of the Fasano and Emiliano. Still the pickings are lean. Most of the beach front hotels are concrete and glass monstrosities dating back to the 1970’s.

I never cease to be amazed at the bewildering range of “high end” hotels in Bangkok and they continue to sprout like mushrooms. The older 5 star hotels have had to upgrade to stay in the race eg The Athenee where I stayed in December/January very good by the way. I find the rates fairly reasonable. Compare Bangkok to Rio. I defy anyone to name a city in the world of comparable standing that has a more appalling choice of hotels. Things have improved marginally in the past 10 years with the renovation of the Copacabana Palace (some of the reviews of the rooms at the Copa pre renovation had to be read to be believed), and the construction of the Fasano and Emiliano. Still the pickings are lean. Most of the beach front hotels are concrete and glass monstrosities dating back to the 1970’s.

Agreed about Rio. The hotels are piss poor and the newest construction is on Barra, too far from the action to be ideal.

The Copacabana is a real beauty: It's like taking a gigantic step back in time when you stay there. I've never had less than a spectacular experience with them, but do agree that their aesthetic is very specific. Even renovated, they still feel classic.

Bangkok will continue to evolve as younger money pours into the city. While I don't see it having an effect on local life at this point, I do think it's a good thing for tourists who want a wider selection.

Guest LeonTrotsky
Agreed about Rio. The hotels are piss poor and the newest construction is on Barra, too far from the action to be ideal.

The Copacabana is a real beauty: It's like taking a gigantic step back in time when you stay there. I've never had less than a spectacular experience with them, but do agree that their aesthetic is very specific. Even renovated, they still feel classic.

Bangkok will continue to evolve as younger money pours into the city. While I don't see it having an effect on local life at this point, I do think it's a good thing for tourists who want a wider selection.

Bangkok is in many ways a multi-tiered place... The "poorer" areas and the richer areas have very little to do with each other. Also, the tourist zones (and the whole much discussed commercial sex industry) have also very little to do with the everyday lives of the millions of people living in BKK.

Most of the people involved in the sex industry are not from Bangkok and only stay there as long as necessary before they can return to their lives in the villages and small towns. It is purely an instrumental thing... a way to find income to send back home. Life in Thailand can be amazing precarious - more so than Western visitors can or are willing to realize.

Edited by LeonTrotsky

Guest LeonTrotsky
aren't there really two (or mayb 4) sex industries though? One set for sex tourists and one set for locals?

in a certain sense, yes....

the thai people are actually very shy and conservative about many things so the thai for thai sex industry is very much underground and not talked about. but it does exist, of course.... and it is totally apart from what the visitor (or even expat) may be able to encounter

I stay in Ipanema now in Rio because it is more like a real neighborhood, although with many tourists, including me. (smile).