Dr Laura

Guest Sean
This topic is 8692 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm disappointed that Time accepted at face value Laura Schlessinger's arrogation of the title "Doctor" and described her as a psychotherapist. While she does have a license from the State of California as a "Marriage and Family Therapist," her doctorate is in physiology. Since she is not an M.D., she is in no sense a psychotherapist. Indeed, she is no more a real doctor than Doctor J is. Time should not confer on this individual a title which may mislead the public into giving undeserved credence to her bizarre ideas about sexual orientation.

Guest Dr. DG

Dr. Laura

You make some very interesting comments about Dr. Laura and her status as a therapist.

It must be noted that in many states, a doctorate in psychology or counseling (either a Ph. D. or Psy. D.) or a master's degree in either discipline is required to practice as a licensed therapist.

Many of the psychiatrists I know prefer to leave the non-physiological component of mental health to individuals more highly trained in psychotherapy and behavioral modificiation. Psychiatrists first and foremost are physicians, and typically look for underlying physiologic mechanisms of mental disorders for treatment by medications and/or other interventional therapy.

As for Dr. Laura's opinions on sexual orientation--God only knows where she comes up with this stuff! If she is indeed a trained physiologist, it would stand to some reason she would be more open to accept the increasingly held belief that homosexuality is a genetically inherited trait though she clearly does not.

Although many people are against her migration to television, I am all for it--let the light of truth display her ugly attitudes towards all people who disagree with her--gay or not. Let people see her ideas for all of their ugliness and contempt. Nothing destroys the acrid fungus of malicious ideas and lies like sunshine and fresh air.

Sorry...unprofessional of me to comment on this in this manner, but even the mention of her name tends to raise my blood pressure!

Guest Croix

RE: Dr. Laura

Good for you Dr G ! Now all you need is some nice sexy hunk to help you relieve that high pressure :-)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-00 AT 10:13PM (EST)[p]Dr G, I absolutely agree with you. The mention of this individuals name causes my blood pressure to go through the roof. I suggest that everyone here write a letter to Time magazine and DEMAND that they print a retraction. She is no more a "doctor" than that ASSHOLE who runs http://www.godhatesfags.com is a man of God. I disagree that this woman should be given another forum to spew her venom and get paid for it! I do agree that she should be exposed as the "hate monger" and "bigot" that she is, but she should certainly not be paid for it!

Guest Dr. DG

If some company is stupid enough to risk losing the purchasing power of the gay community by sponsoring the likes of her, they deserve to be bankrupt! But if they go bankrupt--she loses her TV paycheck and ends up spewing forth her garbage on conservative AM radio talk shows that any person of substance and character avoids anyway!

Archived