Putting the 'man' in manicure...

KeepItReal
This topic is 1256 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Curious as to your thoughts on manicures. I've always taken care of my hands, keeping nails short, neat and smooth, but I've noticed that here in the North East of the USA a lot of guys (of all orientations) get manicures. It isn't my thing. When I meet guys with nails that are "shiny" or have polish or gel on them, it doesn't really do anything for me. In fact, sometimes it seems a little over the top - like guys that get french tips. (Yeah, I'm being judgmental. I'll apologize later.:) )

Your thoughts?

5706686b72c810894094d3e6c5ddefc4--adorable-animals-funny-animals.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious as to your thoughts on manicures. I've always taken care of my hands, keeping nails short, neat and smooth, but I've noticed that here in the North East of the USA a lot of guys (of all orientations) get manicures. It isn't my thing. When I meet guys with nails that are "shiny" or have polish or gel on them, it doesn't really do anything for me. In fact, sometimes it seems a little over the top - like guys that get french tips. (Yeah, I'm being judgmental. I'll apologize later.:) )

Your thoughts?

For me it is the excepion rather than the rule.

When you say “neat and smooth” do you refer to the edge where you trimmed or the top of the nail plate? I use a block to smooth the top of the nail plate as well, but no polish etc.

The only reason that I would do it is because I am one of this people that find it impossible to actually be able to cut/file my right hand nails. I can do my left hand side as I am right-handed. So I have to have someone else do my right hand and you can't go in for a one hand job (well, at least for a manicure.) I can do my own pedicure. The same would apply if I wanted my nails to glisten.

For me it is the excepion rather than the rule.

When you say “neat and smooth” do you refer to the edge where you trimmed or the top of the nail plate? I use a block to smooth the top of the nail plate as well, but no polish etc.

I am referring to the edge where I trimmed...

It is nice to get a little pampering. I really enjoyed getting by cuticles trimmed and not only just the toenails trimmed, but the whole foot worked on, especially in the winter with dry skin. I don't get them polished, but let the nail technician make them shiny. I like the look. He always asks do you want them short and shiny. He always massages the feet and hands.

• 5 months later...

Men are crowding nail salons this summer, spurred by shifting attitudes about their grooming as well as the popularity of sandals from Gucci, Valentino, Rick Owens and other luxury brands. Macho entertainers and sports stars including LeBron James have posted videos of themselves getting pedicures, reassuring the average guy that it is OK to step into a salon and pamper their toes.

~WSJ 29JULY2019~

because of my walking/hiking, I get a pedicure about once every couple months (yeah, could do it more often, I suppose)......started that up only a couple or three years ago after a macho fellow hiker said he did the same!

as for a manicure, pretty fingernails aren't important to me.....so two minutes outside every couple weeks does the trick......

nails-e1442236888103-640x426.jpg

Your thoughts?

People always notice ones hands. A good classic manicure is always great. Short, trimmed nails, removed cuticles and buffed nails (no polish) looks fantastic. Plus, this can be done at home with the proper tools.

As for pedicures, if you don’t feel like enduring the pain of hunching over to do it yourself, taking care of those puppies really feels good. And not having corns, husk under the feet and long toenails truly helps too.

And since we’re on a site where we discuss our massage experiences, I will tell you that when a masseur sees well maintained feet, he’ll be elated and will massage the hell out of them too.

Your thoughts?

One more point,

Although I’m just an average looking guy, I’ve always felt like good grooming has given me “extra points” on the scale.

Well maintained nails and feet, smelling fantastic, white teeth/fresh breath and having smooth moisturized skin has definitely given me an edge.

I discovered the joys of a pedicure when my hip prevented me from reaching them. I just had the hip replaced and bending is still on the movements I have to avoid for a few more weeks. Even once cleared I will continue to get the pedicure cause I enjoy the pampering ?

I wish I HAD nails for a manicure. Have always had a bad nail-biting habit.... And I started pedicure last year when I became disabled and couldn't reach my feet....And now that I am recovering, I still go twice a month. Men with pretty feet are a turn-on..

And shine, doesn't bother me, nor does Black polish on a guy.

Pedicures are terrific - all the above posts mention the benefits ... that being said, ya’ gotta’ shop around for a good technician, kind of like a therapist. And once you find one (thank you, Lisa) keep him/her by tipping well. A good leg, calf, foot massage is close to being orgasmic.

I happily pay for a pedicure every other month. It's only $20 at a small place near where I live, and the technician there gives a great massage! I refuse the polish at the end though; I hate how they look.

Can't remember the last time I had a manicure at a salon.

A huge memory of my childhood was going with my mom when she got manicures and pedicures, so getting them as an adult is partly a way of remembering her. I also sometimes do polish and always get compliments on it. A matte finish can be nice if you don’t like glossy polish. I usually go for darker colors as well, like deep blue or purple.