Movies About Us

Will
This topic is 8722 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Last night I saw a new Japanese film called TABOO. I don't know if it's out in the States yet, but when it comes to a theater near you, rush to see it. It takes place in 19th-century Japan and is about what happens when a too-beautiful 18-year-old joins a band of Samurai. As it's based on two Japanese novels, and as there seems to be no homophobia in the script, I can only assume that male/male love was an accepted reality in the Japanese military a hundred years ago. What's so great about it is the fact that the story is actually driven by a genuinely gay situation. In other words, it could not be "translated" into a story with straight characters.

There is also a new French movie with a very, very gay theme coming out next week. In French it's called PRESQUE TOUT (ALMOST EVERYTHING) and it looks like a French version of that sweet British film of a few years ago, starring those grotty adolescent boys. In this case, judging from the previews, the casting director chose his protagonists from much higher up on the hormone chain.

Guest Quinte

Lets have any more info you may have on the Taboo movie.

The British movie you mentioned is called "Beautiful Thing" It was a great movie! grotty teenagers and all. It also paid tribute to underrated Mama Cass of the Papas & Mamas group.

Thanks for the tip!

Q

Walking down the street to the cybercafe just now, I noticed from a billboard that I had the wrong title for that French movie that's a sort of Gallic parallel to "Beautiful Thing." It's called PRESQUE RIEN, not "Presque Tout." There's a big difference: PRESQUE RIEN means "Almost Nothing." The difference is all!

Archived