How long will THE CONNERS last?

samhexum

Lukewarm critical reviews and low fan expectations are raising questions about the viability of “The Conners,” the “Roseanne” spinoff set to premiere Tuesday night on ABC. The network’s June firing of star Roseanne Barr may make survival tough for one of TV’s most beloved families.

In a TV Insider poll last month, 75 percent of viewers said they would not watch “The Conners” spinoff without Barr, whose namesake sitcom reboot was axed after Barr drew widespread outrage concerning a racist tweet about the physical appearance of former White House adviser Valerie Jarrett, a person of color.

Like fans, critics aren’t exactly enthusiastic about the spinoff series, either. After viewing two sample episodes, Deadline Hollywood critic Dominic Patten describes the show as an “adequate offering” that’s “packed with jokes and one-liners you can see coming long before they land and full of scenarios you’ve seen a million times before on the small screen.”

Daniel Fienberg of the Hollywood Reporter writes that “The Conners” is “nothing if not proficient and comfortably in the rhythms of the original show — though rest assured that a certain percentage of right-leaning viewers will rage against Barr’s departure and absence.”

Last year’s “Roseanne” premiere — a continuation of the hit sitcom that ran from 1988 to 1997 — drew 18 million viewers. Barr’s firing, just before the season concluded, was a public-relations nightmare, with ABC Entertainment Group president Channing Dungey describing Barr’s tweet as “abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values.”

Nevertheless, the show’s season finale drew more than 10 million viewers, convincing at least a few insiders at ABC that Barr should have kept her job.

“What Roseanne did was wrong but we shouldn’t have rushed to fire her,” an unnamed exec reportedly told Breitbart last week. “It was almost a knee-jerk reaction by Ben [sherwood, president of Disney-ABC Television Group] and Channing, who should have launched an investigation. This would have given them more time to listen to the public, advertisers and cast members to determine the best decision.”

Earlier this month, Barr’s co-stars spoke of missing the controversial comedian and said that playing the Conner family is “awkward” without her.

“The Conners” premieres Tuesday at 8 p.m. on ABC.

Does anyone really believe that killing of the title character because of opioid overdose was related to Barr's racist remark that she was on Ambien?

Opiate epidemic is a hot topic these days. It is not just kids getting involved though the ones that usually overdose do so on heroin to which they switched when they were not longer able to afford the prescription drugs.

Opiate epidemic is a hot topic these days. It is not just kids getting involved though the ones that usually overdose do so on heroin to which they switched when they were not longer able to afford the prescription drugs.

I realize the epidemic proportion of opioid addiction. I was wondering if anyone sensed the writers were trying to get back on Barr for claiming to be on Ambien when she made her racist remark.

I was wondering if anyone sensed the writers were trying to get back on Barr for claiming to be on Ambien when she made her racist remark.

By the end of last season, it was pretty clear they were setting up an addiction arc for the character of Roseanne, and it now seems they might be adapting that arc to Becky's alcoholism (and established fondness for opioids).

• 1 year later...

I think the show has wound up better as a result of losing Roseanne. Instead of being a possibly tired reboot, it became more of a spin-off with Darlene & Becky moving front and center, though DJ is still barely used. And Dan surely has been given more interesting stories than he would've gotten as Roseanne's foil.

It's not a great show, but I enjoy it and hope it lasts awhile. And Peg Bundy Katey Sagal has been an excellent addition as Dan's new love.

Did anybody ever read or hear anything about why they chose to exclude Jackie's son (Andy) from the show? He didn't even have to appear; he could've just been mentioned as being in the military (or prison) to explain his absence if they didn't want to include another character. But why pretend she never had a child?

I find it hard to buy Darlenes hetero relationshp, and the show is tedious at this point and not really funny. I also feel Jackie is the most interesting character on the show, but its time for the Connors to go.

• 10 months later...

A crewmember on ABC's The Conners died Thursday after suffering a medical emergency on the show's set. The man, whose identity is being withheld, was working on the show's stages at CBS Studio Center in Los Angeles when he suffered a "fatal medical event," per a statement from The Conners producer Werner Entertainment.

A crewmember on ABC's The Conners died Thursday after suffering a medical emergency on the show's set. The man, whose identity is being withheld, was working on the show's stages at CBS Studio Center in Los Angeles when he suffered a "fatal medical event," per a statement from The Conners producer Werner Entertainment.

I doubt the demise of a crew member would cause the demise of the show. However, the show is running out of steam, and most notable for me this season is how they are trying to "downplay" Darlene's young sons GAYNESS...... While previously they showcased his gender fluidness, and this season they are trying to turn him into a "jock"...

I doubt the demise of a crew member would cause the demise of the show. However, the show is running out of steam, and most notable for me this season is how they are trying to "downplay" Darlene's young sons GAYNESS...... While previously they showcased his gender fluidness, and this season they are trying to turn him into a "jock"...

• 2 weeks later...
Brian Austin Green Marries- But Why?

For those who can't understand why the sexiest actress in America (Megan Fox) would marry a considerably older has-been child star with a kid (Brian Austin Green, best known as David Silver on "Beverly Hills 90210"), I offer this just-barely-suitable-for-work explanation HERE.

silver6.0.jpg

A past Roseanne-era feud is getting resurrected in present-day The Conners. Also, Brian Austin Green is Lanford-bound.

ABC announced Tuesday that Danielle Harris will reprise her Season 5 Roseanne role as Molly Tilden, AKA Darlene’s high school rival for David’s affection, in the April 7 episode of The Conners. Although Darlene and Molly were enemies back in the day, they find themselves 30 years later having had similar lives and become close.

Meanwhile, Green has booked a two-episode arc on the ABC spinoff as Jeff, a quirky, free spirit traveler who lives out of his van. The network has not revealed when his first episode will air.

Wait — there’s more Conners casting news. Candice Bergen — who guest-starred earlier this season as Ben’s mom, Barb — will return for two more episodes. Her next airdate is also TBA.

Molly-The-Conners.jpg

Molly-Returns-The-Conners.jpg?w=600

Brian-Austin-Green-The-Conners.jpg

Edited by samhexum

• 3 weeks later...

I could swear Mark died in Iraq, but in this week's episode Becky said he hit a deer while riding his motorcycle. Either I'm wrong, or the writers felt Becky expressing anger at a dead soldier wouldn't play so well, but I kept thinking huh?

I could swear Mark died in Iraq, but in this week's episode Becky said he hit a deer while riding his motorcycle. Either I'm wrong, or the writers felt Becky expressing anger at a dead soldier wouldn't play so well, but I kept thinking huh?

I don't think they ever said before how Mark died before. I know the actor died from a drug OD.

I'm surprised it is getting another season. I've never cared for Roseanne as a person since she disrespected the national anthem in the 90's but she was funny and made the show.

They need to show more of Emillio, he's nice eye candy.

Whatever happened to Jerry, their youngest son? I've never heard him mentioned in the revival.

He ran off with Andy, Jackie's son who also has never been mentioned.

And what happened with Bev being a lesbian? She came out in Roseanne but now she is straight?

She's rarely on the show, so other than Jackie occasionally complaining about her, she's not a big enough part of the show for her sexuality to matter. Plus, she's 187 years old by now, so there'd be nobody of either sex available to date her.

They need to show more of Emillio, he's nice eye candy.

Si, Me gusto mucho! (pardon my high school Spanish.)