Steven Spielberg's West Side Story

TruHart1
This topic is 1029 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 2 years later...

I was surprised and excited to see the West Side Story trailer run during the Oscars.

Of course an awesome trailer can be created from even the most average movie. This trailer sure does makes the movie look like a winner! ?

I'm curious what all Spielberg will try with the remake, to achieve something new and unique.

The tomboy tag-along character will be played by a trans actor. That will be cool.

Riff will be played by Mike Faist, a Broadway actor and Tony nominee.

He was Connor in Dear Evan Hansen.

David Alvarez was one of the original Billy Elliot's on Broadway. Plays Bernardo.

Edited by E.T.Bass

I was surprised and excited to see the West Side Story trailer run during the Oscars.

Of course an awesome trailer can be created from even the most average movie. This trailer sure does makes the movie look like a winner! ?

I'm curious what all Spielberg will try with the remake, to achieve something new and unique.

The tomboy tag-along character will be played by a trans actor. That will be cool.

Riff will be played by Mike Faist, a Broadway actor and Tony nominee.

He was Connor in Dear Evan Hansen.

David Alvarez was one of the original Billy Elliot's on Broadway. Plays Bernardo.

This made me so excited for the movie. Sucks though to wait till December.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if Spielberg will keep the quasi-ballet movement in some of the dance sections or if those will be changed for more "manly" dancing. I am actually looking forward to see it but just wondering.

I hope the dancing stands out as much as in the original.

Riff and Bernardo have Broadway musical acting chops including dance so one might expect so.

Would be a shame if the dancing is shown only from the thighs up to hide the poor quality of the dance as has been done in so many movies. Given me Fred Astaire of Gene Kelly movies to really show dancing at its best. The original West Side Story was good about the dancing, not so good about dubbing the singing.

• 4 weeks later...

As a devout fan of the old,  original 1961 film version of West Side Story, I saw the new trailer of the upcoming film version of West Side Story by Steven Spielberg and I do not plan on seeing it when it hits the movie theatres this December, for the following reasons:

A)  Given the intensely brilliant Leonard Bernstein Musical score, the very story behind West Side Story, the great cinematography by the late Daniel Fapp, the seamlessly and creatively combined on-location scenes with sound stage scenes, the cast of the 1961 film version, and the fact that the original 1961 film version of West Side Story won 10 well-deserved and well-earned Academy Awards, including Best Picture when it came out into the movie theatres in October of 1961, the new film version of West Side Story did not sit well with me.  

B)  The new film version of West Side Story feels totally unnatural, forced, and way too contemporary for my tastes.  It seems way overdone, too bombastic, too intense, too out of control and too heavy for me, plus everything seems to be happening in a non-stop manner.    A musical is also supposed to have some lightness to it as well, and the new film version of West Side Story seems to not have that.  To be honest, it feels all wrong, and not like West Side Story, to me.

C)  The Jets, the Sharks, and their girls in the new film version of West Side Story look far more like wealthy suburban prep school kids who are dressed to the nines for partying around town than two street gangs who are at war with each other, and the dancing feels far too hyped-up.  The back-drop scenes look far more like the tonier and wealthier parts of the city, rather than the impoverished, rough and run-down parts of the city.  

D) Also, given Ansel Elgort's record of being rather assaultive, especially to underage girls, and the fact that he posted a nude picture of himself in the shower to some cause (which escapes me at the moment) that he was involved in, Ansel Elgort sounds like a dangerous, disgusting and gross human being.  There are some people calling for Elgort's replacement, which is impossible, given that the filming was done two years ago.  Elgort doesn't have that great a voice, nor does he have the looks, charm and personality of an ex-gangster, either.  Learning what I learned about Ansel Elgort has stiffened my resolve to vote my pocketbook and not go to seen Steven Spielberg's upcoming new film version of West Side Story.  

E)  Having said all of the above, I much prefer the old, original 1961 film version of West Side Story over the upcoming new film version. 

On 5/10/2021 at 1:30 AM, purplekow said:

Would be a shame if the dancing is shown only from the thighs up to hide the poor quality of the dance as has been done in so many movies. Given me Fred Astaire of Gene Kelly movies to really show dancing at its best. The original West Side Story was good about the dancing, not so good about dubbing the singing.

I agree with you about the dancing in the original 1961 film version of West Side Story.  Since I'm a devout fan of the original 1961 film version of WSS (It's my all time favorite movie, hands down, and I've watched it more times than I'm now able or willing to count!), and since dubbing was very common during that general period, I'm more than willing to overlook the dubbing in West Side Story.  There are also times when dubbing has really been necessary, as well.

Surprised and excited to see the trailer when I saw In The Heights in the theater. It looks and sounds stunning in Dolby wide screen.  I was surprised to see more sweat and dirt on the gangs’ clothes and faces. It definitely looks grittier and more realistic than the original. Can’t wait!

Heights was great, btw.

Edited by tchm

• 2 weeks later...