You take the good, You take the bad, You take them both and there you have...

Deadline hears a reboot of “The Facts of Life” is in early stages at Sony Pictures TV, with Appian Way, the company run by Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson, in negotiations to produce the project alongside Jessica Biel via her Iron Ocean Films. The potential series is looking for a writer.

The studio declined comment.

“The Facts of Life,” a spinoff of “Diff’rent Strokes,”aired on NBC from 1979-88, making it one of the longest-running sitcoms of the decade. Charlotte Rae starred as Edna Garrett, a housemother at the fictional Eastland School, an all-female boarding school in Peekskill, NY. Garrett later is promoted to school dietitian, and four of the girls move into new quarters above the cafeteria. She eventually leaves the school and opens her own business, with help from her girls. The series focused on issues that teenage girls face such as drug use, sex, eating disorders and peer pressure.

“The Facts of Life,” created by Dick Clair and Jenna McMahon, was nominated for three Emmys over the course of its nine-year run, including lead actress in a comedy for Rae. The series starred Lisa Welchel as Blair, Kim Fields as Tootie, Mindy Cohn as Natalie and Nancy McKeon as Jo.

Sony TV recently successfully rebooted the Norman Lear classic “One Day At A Time,” which is heading into its third season on Netflix.

There have been two revivals of 1980s multicamera comedies to return to broadcast TV, “Roseanne” on ABC last season, and “Murphy Brown” on CBS this coming season. (“Roseanne” was canceled in May over star Roseanne Barr’s racial tweet and will be replaced by a spinoff series, “The Conners.“)

Additionally, the 1980s sitcom “ALF” also is plotting a comeback at Warner Bros. TV and is currently looking for a writer!!!

(I just hope Alf hasn't aged badly... it's so sad when you see great stars of yesteryear get old!)

Edited by samhexum

Actress Charlotte Rae — who played Mrs. Garrett on “The Facts of Life” and “Diff’rent Strokes” — died Sunday at her home in Los Angeles, according to her publicist.

The Emmy-nominated television star was 92. Herdeath was confirmed by Fox News.

Loved ones were reportedly at Rae’s side when she passed away on Sunday. The actress had been diagnosed with bone cancer in April 2017, and pancreatic cancer about seven years earlier.

“At 91, every day is a birthday,” Rae said in a statement after revealing her most recent diagnosis.

“I’m feeling so terrific and so glad to be above ground,” she explained. “Now I have to figure out whether I want to go have treatment again or opt for life…I’ve had a wonderful one already…I’ve had a great life, but I have so many wonderful things happening. I’d like to choose life. I’m grateful for the life I’ve already had.”

Born Charlotte Rae Lubotsky, the actress grew up in Milwaukee and later attended Northwestern University — studying alongside a slew of acting greats, such as Charlton Heston and Paul Lynde.

She began her career in radio and theater before branching out to television in the 1950s.

Rae appeared in a number of hit shows, including “The Partridge Family” and “The Defenders,” before landing her most popular role in 1978.

As Edna Garrett, the witty housekeeper from “Diff’rent Strokes,” Rae managed to steal the hearts of millions — so much, in fact, that she later earned her own spinoff.

“The Facts of Life” debuted in 1979 and centered around Mrs. Garrett’s relationship with a group of girls she met in the season 1 finale of “Diff’rent Strokes.” The series went on to become one of TV’s longest-running sitcoms, even outlasting its predecessor by two years.

“I grew up watching Charlotte Rae teach us the facts of life,” wrote one Twitter user.

“In my mind probably one of the best mentors on a tv show to their fellow tv characters,” another said.

While Rae was best known for her work on the small screen, she also managed to score two Tony noms for parts she played on Broadway. The actress got recognized for the 1966 musical “Pickwick” and 1969 play “Morning, Noon and Night.”

Rae continued to work late into her career, earning roles on hit television shows like “ER,” “The King of Queens,” and “Murder, She Wrote.” She also appeared in movies, including “You Don’t Mess With the Zohan” with Adam Sandler and “Ricki and the Flash” with Meryl Streep.

Some of her former co-stars took to Twitter on Sunday night to pay their respects.

“You all already know my heart is heavy yet,” tweeted actress Kim Fields, who played Dorothy “Tootie” Ramsey on Facts of Life.

“Sorry, no words at the moment just love and tears… and yeah, smiles.”

Mindy Cohn, who played Natalie Green on Facts of Life, said: “[Rae] was my champion, a teacher, a proud example of the tenacity and perseverance needed to live as a creative, along with your talent and gifts…I wish you the happiest of homecomings.”

• 3 years later...

Jennifer Aniston will recreate episodes of “The Facts of Life” for a 90-minute special set to air on ABC Dec. 7. It will be available on Hulu the following day.

Aniston will play Blair. The fact that Aniston, 52, has been cast as a teenager may raise some eyebrows, but it’s all a part of the fun.

Gabrielle Union, 49, Kathryn Hahn, 48, and Allison Tolman, 40, will star opposite Aniston.

Ann Dowd, 65, will star as Mrs. Garrett.

Live In Front of a Studio Audience” will feature recreations of classic episodes of “The Facts of Life,” as well as a revival of iconic scenes and sketches from “Diff’rent Strokes.”  Kevin Hart will play Arnold Jackson, Damon Wayans will play Willis Jackson, and John Lithgow will star as Mr. Drummond.

https://nypost.com/2021/11/30/jennifer-aniston-gabrielle-union-cast-in-facts-of-life-reboot/

QUICK QUIZ:  What was Tootie's real name?   ANSWER:  Dorothy

Edited by samhexum
Just for the hell of it.

• 1 year later...