Books You Loved As A Child-Say 10 And Under

Gar1eth
This topic is 1232 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Along with all the other mystery books (Three Investigators, Encyclopedia Brown), we read "The Happy Hollisters" series, a family whose kids solved mysteries. We belonged to a subscription service that sent one every month or so (at that age, my sense of time wasn't that accurate). I think we had the whole series of 33 books, and I still have the bookstand that came with the set.

I remember one of my sister's friends, at a drunk party, saying "Y'know, all that stuff in Encyclopedia Brown - that would never have stood up in court".

There's a book, I can't remember the name, about a kid inventor. His dad worked for a spy organization called Mongoose, their nemesis was some snake-related name, and the kid called his group of friends VACUUM - Volunteer Agents Crusading Unsteadily Under Mongoose. UPDATE: Just googled it, it's "Secret Agents Four", written by Donald J. Sobol, the same guy who wrote the Encyclopedia Brown books.

The Wind in the Willows. Mr. Badger is the ultimate daddy!

I’d forgotten about The Wind in the Willows”. I read and reread it many times. A little later I got into historical novels like Johnny Tremain and Arundel and the World Book Encyclopedia. Ended up majoring in History - Medieval. I didn’t get to Dickens till after college.

Along with all the other mystery books (Three Investigators, Encyclopedia Brown), we read "The Happy Hollisters" series, a family whose kids solved mysteries. We belonged to a subscription service that sent one every month or so (at that age, my sense of time wasn't that accurate). I think we had the whole series of 33 books, and I still have the bookstand that came with the set.

I remember one of my sister's friends, at a drunk party, saying "Y'know, all that stuff in Encyclopedia Brown - that would never have stood up in court".

There's a book, I can't remember the name, about a kid inventor. His dad worked for a spy organization called Mongoose, their nemesis was some snake-related name, and the kid called his group of friends VACUUM - Volunteer Agents Crusading Unsteadily Under Mongoose. UPDATE: Just googled it, it's "Secret Agents Four", written by Donald J. Sobol, the same guy who wrote the Encyclopedia Brown books.

Did you read any of the Danny Dunn adventure / science story's written by Raymond Abrashkin and Jay Williams? Danny's mom was the housekeeper for Professor Bullfinch who invented things. An early print version of the Back to the Future relationship with Marty and Doc Brown.

Did you read any of the Danny Dunn adventure / science story's written by Raymond Abrashkin and Jay Williams? Danny's mom was the housekeeper for Professor Bullfinch who invented things. An early print version of the Back to the Future relationship with Marty and Doc Brown.

I did! Wasn't "Danny Dunn and the anti-gravity paint" the first book? We read that aloud in 3rd or 4th grade, a chapter or so after every lunch period.

Those must have been interesting days.

I don't know if you remember, but after communism fell, there was an attempted military coup when tanks rolled into Red Square. That was the day my friend and I got our visas from the Russian government.

We started out in Leningrad, less than a week before it reverted back to St. Petersburg.

We had a private car, driver, and guide (cheaply, from a tour company that was trying to get established) and one day on a drive to see a cathedral out of town, we were stopped for speeding. My friend and I thought we were going to wind up in the gulag.

The food was so awful (other than McDonald's and Pizza Hut) that one day we stopped in a fancier hotel than the one we were staying at to look for postcards in the gift shop, and suddenly I heard my friend cry out "SAM! They have coke! They have Twix bars!" We feasted that night.

And don't get me started on the toilet paper...

Edited by samhexum

I was the kid that read the encyclopedia for fun. At that age, it was childcraft

I also read the encyclopedia at night before bed. Strangely, at age 10 I enjoyed reading Advise and Consent. I am sure I missed a lot of subtly but it was a great back of the car reading book. It led me to read other Drury books and then at age 12 or so, Ludlum. I do not recall reading much geared toward the young reader except Dr. Seuss when I was four and 5 and then, once and again when I was a bit older.

But have any of you ever been to Russia? I was there after communism fell, but before the USSR actually split up.

Yes,, but before the decline of the USSR. I crossed the country on the Trans-Siberian Railway, stopped in Irkutsk and Moscow, then went to Leningrad. A fascinating country at the time. I'd love to go back, but with my government work history I'm not sure I'd feel safe in what can be something of a capricious legal system.

There actually was a time travel book in that series; I remember thinking they'd made a mistake when describing some of the events (when one of the characters met his future/past self).

Read all The Hardy Boys, and then read all of my sisters’ Nancy Drew mysteries, plus uncounted books from the library. I was also a rocks and minerals geek, and read a number of books on that topic. I, too, loved the encyclopedia. By ten, I knew the capitals of most states and countries.

But have any of you ever been to Russia? I was there after communism fell, but before the USSR actually split up.

I was there then, too. Our guides spent more time discussing events among themselves than talking to us. I always seem to be in countries while they are breaking up, e.g., Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, (the USA?).

Edited by Charlie

I don't know if you remember, but after communism fell, there was an attempted military coup when tanks rolled into Red Square. That was the day my friend and I got our visas from the Russian government.

We started out in Leningrad, less than a week before it reverted back to St. Petersburg.

We had a private car, driver, and guide (cheaply, from a tour company that was trying to get established) and one day on a drive to see a cathedral out of town, we were stopped for speeding. My friend and I thought we were going to wind up in the gulag.

The food was so awful (other than McDonald's and Pizza Hut) that one day we stopped in a fancier hotel than the one we were staying at to look for postcards in the gift shop, and suddenly I heard my friend cry out "SAM! They have coke! They have Twix bars!" We feasted that night.

And don't get me started on the toilet paper...

I remember that attempted coup. I think Boris Yeltsin was the mayor of Moscow (or Leningrad);and stood atop a tank opposing the coup leaders. His courage led him to the presidency of Russia but we know how that ended.

I remember that attempted coup. I think Boris Yeltsin was the mayor of Moscow (or Leningrad);and stood atop a tank opposing the coup leaders. His courage led him to the presidency of Russia but we know how that ended.

Yeltsin was president of the Russian SFSR, one of the 15 union republics, at the time and the attempted coup was against Gorbachev who was president of the USSR. I was in the middle of my RAAF Staff College year and this was of obvious interest to a bunch of military officers.