Books You Loved As A Child-Say 10 And Under

Gar1eth
This topic is 1207 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It was about age 10 that I discovered Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes. But then I graduated to the Kenneth Roberts novels: Rebel in Arms, Lively Lady, Arundel etc. A son of New England through and through.

We actually read Johnny Tremain in 9th grade English and watched the film.

Disney published two books that my mother read to me over and over again because I loved them so much. "Mickey Mouse Visits the U.S.A." and "Donald Duck Visits South America". From those two book I probably developed my love of travel. She also read dozens of Golden Books to me. When I was a preschooler she read to me every night which I'm convinced led to my love of reading. To this day I spend a good portion of each day reading. My television is hooked up only to a DVD player because I do enjoy watching films.

I have a brother who is about 7 years older than I am. When I was 6, I came across a box containing his old comics which he no longer read. He had a collection of about 350 comics. I already liked to read, and I began a love affair with comics-mostly DC with some Marvel thrown-in until I stopped reading them for the most part when I was about 24. I've still been known to buy one every once in a while. But the occurrences are extremely rare.

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to a grandparent who worked in publishing who insisted I learn as early as possible, I could read independently before kindergarten. I remember thinking it was weird to have an adult read stories to us in school because that was 'for babies'. :rolleyes:

As it happened, our second grade teacher read us The Hobbit, or There and Back Again over the year. I liked it and wanted to read more from the author and that's how I ended up reading The Lord of the Rings over the summer between 2nd and 3rd grade, so I would have been 8. I've reread it many times since then.

As far as children's books I liked quite a bit, there are Sterling North's Rascal: A Memoir of a Better Era, Ian Fleming's (yes, that Ian Fleming) Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang: The Magical Car, and Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time. I reread Rascal and Wrinkle recently, actually.

I also liked The Chronicles of Narnia but I didn't come across it until I was 11, I think because in my parts it was regarded with suspicion as Christian brainwashing for kids.

But for time spent, I can tell you, the encyclopedia wins, hand down. We had a set and I read the entire thing. I remember they also published a supplemental volume each year with new and updated entries and I tore into that the moment it arrived. I was also fascinated by The Guinness Book of World Records and we got the new edition every year, which I would read cover to cover, even though most of it was the same as the last edition.

When I was in about 5th or 6th grade, I lived quite close to my elementary school. Therefore, unless weather was very inclement, I walked to school and back every day. One afternoon, on my way home from school, I was walking in front of a classmate for quite a ways. I overheard her describing a book to her companion, which she had read from the school library entitled "Half Magic" wherein the four children of a widow discover a magic coin, which, when wished upon, grants exactly half the wish a holder of the coin desires. Her narrative was so engrossing for me, I seem to recall going past my usual turn-off to the road my house was on simply to hear her entire account. After she finished the story to her girlfriend, I turned to go back toward my home and said, "Thank you for the great story" as I passed by. I still remember her look of puzzlement at my thanks! o_O

The first chance I got, I looked up "Half Magic" in the library and checked it out and read it. It was as good or better than her account of it. I found it was by Edward Eager, and I soon found he'd written a number of books about normal, average children's everyday adventures with various magic. The first four or five books were with one generation of children, the next few were about the original's children. A few of his last books were about unrelated children, but sometimes referenced the original characters or their offspring in passing when some adventure overlapped the earlier books.

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1180383657l/1033282.jpg

I soon found all of these titles in various libraries around town and read them all, enjoying every book immensely. Throughout these stories, written by the author in the 1950's and early 1960's (Mr. Eager passed in 1964 at age 53 from lung cancer) he referenced an earlier author of books about magic and children written in earlier times by the author E. Nesbit, (1858-1924) with titles such as "Five Children and It," "The Railway Children" and "The Enchanted Castle." Though I did find a few of her books in libraries and enjoyed reading them, it was a time when not as many books from the early 1900's were as easily available in libraries.

2940012828804_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

Soon after going through my "magic" reading phase, I began to discover science fiction, horror (H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allan Poe) and DC comics, when I became quite enamored of Superman, Batman & Robin. I mean, I enjoyed their heroic adventures but, to be honest, I loved the artists drawings of the heroes bulky muscles. I doubt I realized it back then, but I know a certain lust for those superheroes and the way they were depicted by the comics artists had to be involved, even though I was too naive to realize it back then! :rolleyes:

TruHart1 :cool:

When I was in about 5th or 6th grade, I lived quite close to my elementary school. Therefore, unless weather was very inclement, I walked to school and back every day. One afternoon, on my way home from school, I was walking in front of a classmate for quite a ways. I overheard her describing a book to her companion, which she had read from the school library entitled "Half Magic" wherein the four children of a widow discover a magic coin, which, when wished upon, grants exactly half the wish a holder of the coin desires. Her narrative was so engrossing for me, I seem to recall going past my usual turn-off to the road my house was on simply to hear her entire account. After she finished the story to her girlfriend, I turned to go back toward my home and said, "Thank you for the great story" as I passed by. I still remember her look of puzzlement at my thanks! o_O

The first chance I got, I looked up "Half Magic" in the library and checked it out and read it. It was as good or better than her account of it. I found it was by Edward Eager, and I soon found he'd written a number of books about normal, average children's everyday adventures with various magic. The first four or five books were with one generation of children, the next few were about the original's children. A few of his last books were about unrelated children, but sometimes referenced the original characters or their offspring in passing when some adventure overlapped the earlier books.

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1180383657l/1033282.jpg

I soon found all of these titles in various libraries around town and read them all, enjoying every book immensely. Throughout these stories, written by the author in the 1950's and early 1960's (Mr. Eager passed in 1964 at age 53 from lung cancer) he referenced an earlier author of books about magic and children written in earlier times by the author E. Nesbit, (1858-1924) with titles such as "Five Children and It," "The Railway Children" and "The Enchanted Castle." Though I did find a few of her books in libraries and enjoyed reading them, it was a time when not as many books from the early 1900's were as easily available in libraries.

I loved most of Edward Eager's books. I wasn't that fond of, I believe it was called, "Magic or Not" and it's sequel where the magical occurrences were probably not magical in nature.

Did you ever happen to read Grimbold's Other World" by Nicholas Stuart This was a great book.

29330944._UY200_.jpg

I tried some of the E. Nesbit books. I can't remember if I finished any of them or not. Her writing style was very old fashioned, and I remember having trouble plowing thru it.

Did anyone ever read "Black and Blue Magic" by Zilpha Keatley Snyder? It's about a boy that is given a lotion that gives him wings.

2300780._UY200_.jpg

Soon after going through my "magic" reading phase, I began to discover science fiction, horror (H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allan Poe) and DC comics, when I became quite enamored of Superman, Batman & Robin. I mean, I enjoyed their heroic adventures but, to be honest, I loved the artists drawings of the heroes bulky muscles. I doubt I realized it back then, but I know a certain lust for those superheroes and the way they were depicted by the comics artists had to be involved, even though I was too naive to realize it back then! :rolleyes:

During the late 1970's they often made Doctor Strange look as muscular as Superman. It was a good look on him. I loved it. :rolleyes:

e710a70b97d000591a89865f3761dcf2.jpg

Gman

Referring to my 1st post in this thread about "Put Me In The Zoo," I just remembered another book with a character that could do wonderful things with color. It's called "The Dragon Who Liked To Spit Fire." It's about a Dragon who wants to be a prince's pet, but the castle folk think dragons are too dangerous. He can spit fire of many different colors.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6ph07XbjYUU/TgyIvWgsNzI/AAAAAAAABO8/ub0E2VTzZPE/s1600/The+Dragon+Who+Liked+to+Spit+Fire+cover.jpg

Gman

Did anyone ever read "Black and Blue Magic" by Zilpha Keatley Snyder? It's about a boy that is given a lotion that gives him wings.

2300780._UY200_.jpg

Thank you for that! I remember that book and loved it but could not remember the title. Googling probably would have found it, but having you show me is easier. :-)

"Dream of the earthbound,

Spin and flow,

Flicker and furl and fold and NO" (from memory, I may not have that accurately).

Speaking of which, there's another two I remember.

One was about some kids who found a "magic oven" in an old shack, a dial that had "Low", "High", and "Magic" settings. Can't remember the name :-(

The other is The Dragon's Handbook, by by Barbara Rinkoff; a boy finds a dragon's handbook, then the dragon, and he wants the dragon to teach him some of the things in the book - like breathing fire :-)

The tv Hardy Boy Parker Stevenson was one of my first lusts. He was so very hot.

I can never forget when she won the Emmy award for Cheers in 1991 how she thanked Parker:

I had little doubt that Parker Stevenson was, indeed, well-endowed! o_O;)

One was about some kids who found a "magic oven" in an old shack, a dial that had "Low", "High", and "Magic" settings. Can't remember the name :-(

This sounds very familiar to me. I may know it too. But I can't remember anything else about it either although the children baking a cookie with magical properties seems to stick in my memory. :(

Gman

Isaac Asimov - the Foundation "Trilogy" - all 7 books

Can't believe it was never made into a Worthy movie - the ones that were done don't do it justice

As I recall, it's a lot of people talking. And talking. And talking. And when they are not talking, they are mind-reading. :rolleyes: Wikipedia says there was a radio adaptation, which makes sense with all the talking, but no movies or TV so far. I'm skeptical they can be made into entertaining movies, been kicking around Hollywood for a long time and no one seems to be able to come up with a good script. Currently Apple has the rights to it.

I

I had little doubt that Parker Stevenson was, indeed, well-endowed! o_O;)

I'll bet he still is.:p

And speaking of the Hardy Boys-

I was never that enamored with Shaun Cassidy. But I did like Parker. He starred in the 1972 film adaptation of "A Separate Peace" as Gene. I hated the book -we had to read it in school. I'm not much for depressing literature. He also starred in a movie in 1974 with Pamela Sue Martin called "Our Time" which reminded me a lot of "A Separate Peace."

The tv Hardy Boy Parker Stevenson was one of my first lusts. He was so very hot.

In print, while I did read the Hardy Boys, I much preferred the Three Investagators series.

One of my favorites.

http://www.thepulp.net/pulpsuperfan/files/2016/07/mystery-of-the-silver-spider.jpg

Speaking of which, there's another two I remember.

This sounds very familiar to me. I may know it too. But I can't remember anything else about it either although the children baking a cookie with magical properties seems to stick in my memory. :(

Gman

It's looking me that' I can't remember this book. I know I know it.

Gman

Richard Scarry wrote my favorite books for that age, from about 5 or 6 I recall. My mother and Grandmother took me on a weekend to the Gloucester/Salem area around 1970...and as we were walking about, we found a London double decker bus which was actually a children's bookstore. That is where I recall I chose my first book on my own...It was one of his.

I had a teacher in 4th grade who rewarded good class behavior by reading chapters of the Hardy Boys mystery books out loud during daily quiet time. Those books always seemed to end chapters with large or small 'cliff-hangers!' Sometimes, she would be curious enough herself to continue to the next chapter, since the chapters were somewhat short.

http://www.originalmmc.com/images/HB1/HB1_TowerTreasure.jpg 96d231fd34c4e92887ed1c2508475ac2.jpg

This got me interested enough to read all the Hardy Boys mysteries I could find in the local library and put the Hardy Boys mystery series books I'd not found in libraries on my birthday and Christmas lists! Then I moved on to the Nancy Drew mysteries and then a group of mysteries with other main characters (Sue Barton?) I can hardly even recall, all published by the same publisher, Grosset & Dunlap!

Y

Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, Peter Rabbit, The Diary of Anne Frank, The Hobbit, The Chronicles of Narnia, Half-Magic and Magic or Not? by Edgar Eager, The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder, Jennifer, Hecate, William Mc Kinley and Me, Elizabeth by E.L. Konigsberg, Nancy Drew and Sherlock Holmes.

(Based on books I know I read before junior high.)

I remember reading Pippi in the South Seas, by Astrid Lindgren, when I was eight, laughing out loud, and having the epiphany that black marks on a white page had just made something amazing happen inside me.

Charlotte's Web, by E. B. White had an ending so bittersweet, arousing such complicated emotions in my nine-year-old self, that I felt I had grown up a little bit for having read it.

:eek::eek::eek:!!

I always liked looking at bodybuilders.

But I wasn't looking at bodybuilding magazines that young.

Gman

When I was under 10 we lived in a southern town and my dad had to go to this one newsstand downtown to get his sunday New York Times. I never once missed that trip with him because that newstand kept Physique Pictorial laying out on the bottom shelf with comic books on the rack above it I could pretend to look at. It was wrapped in clear plastic. I also remember a year later when they got their first copy of International Nudist Review. High def color pics and a star on the plastic over the penis. I always tried to nudge the plastic and when I finally did I got one of the biggest shocks of my life: a "penis" that looked like a brown carrot. I had never seen an uncircumcised penis and it may have been my obvious shock that caused the newstand to move that magazine behind the counter. Or maybe they ran out of stars.

Anyway, I know it was years before 12 because by then I was allowed out on my own weekends and I was hanging out in the basement men's room of the Army-Navy YMCA giving encouragement to 18 year-olds headed to Vietnam. My "Thanks for Serving". I got one to buy me a Physique Pictorial. I took swimming lessons there every year and they thought I was a slow-learner. They finally graduated me anyway when I started getting rock hard boners in class. I remember one of the teenage teachers looking at my boner and telling me to "take it downstairs". He knew about the basement too but I never saw him there. He may have been one of the thousands of penises coming through the glory holes at the base PX. I doubt he was one of the mouths in the center stall. Few guys got that thrill because each guy there stayed so long. Too long I thought. Growing up gay next to a huge military base is different. Fewer kids books, more penises. The sex life at least is great.

At 18 I graduated cross-country to college and to the Embacadero Y in San Francisco.

Edited by tassojunior