Books You Loved As A Child-Say 10 And Under

Gar1eth
This topic is 1236 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was just listening to my sister-in-law reading some pre-nap time stories to my almost 2-1/2 year old great-niece (i.e. my sister-in-law's youngest granddaughter). And I was thinking about books I liked when I was young.

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/fpvszvtk0n0maj5/IMG_0147.JPG?dl=0

At the age of 3 or 4 I can remember loving the story of the "Teeny-Tiny Woman." It's about, strangely enough, a teeny, tiny woman who finds a bone that she decides to use to make soup. I had my Mom read it to me so much that I could repeat it back to her by looking at the pictures. I also loved (and still love) "Put Me In The Zoo." There was something about the idea of the animal changing it's spots that I really liked. Maybe it was the illustrations.

Then in first grade we could order books from the Weekly Reader Book Club. I think 'Miss Suzy' was one of the first books I ordered. It's about a squirrel run out of her tree by some other squirrels. But don't worry. She finds a dollhouse to live in.

Also I think around 1st grade I discovered the Boxcar Children Series by Gertrude Chandler Warner.http://dl.dropbox.com/s/8pfb9cewts9us4w/IMG_0149.JPG?dl=0

I might have been a bit older than 1st grade as I remember reading most of the series myself although my Mom might have read at least parts of this 1st one to me. I particularly liked "Surprise Island" where the children find they have an older cousin.

I knew the 1st book had been written before I was born. When I was older, I found to my surprise that Gertrude Chandler Warner had only died in 1979 when I was 18. I had thought she had died long before. If I had known she was still alive during most of my childhood I would have thought about writing her a letter telling her how much I enjoyed the series growing up.

Another series I loved as a child was

A1G8L4FDG5L._AC_UL320_SR218,320_.jpg

I think one of my teachers read the book during story time. And I picked up the rest of the series after that.

What books did you like?

Gman

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I adored “The 21 Balloons” by William Pène du Bois. The Book involves Baloon Travel, Diamonds, and the explosion of the Island of Krakatoa. I first read it when I was 8 or 9, and it was so popular that you had to put your name on a waiting list in my school Library to borrow a copy of it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twenty-One_Balloons

I had a teacher in 4th grade who rewarded good class behavior by reading chapters of the Hardy Boys mystery books out loud during daily quiet time. Those books always seemed to end chapters with large or small 'cliff-hangers!' Sometimes, she would be curious enough herself to continue to the next chapter, since the chapters were somewhat short.

http://www.originalmmc.com/images/HB1/HB1_TowerTreasure.jpg 96d231fd34c4e92887ed1c2508475ac2.jpg

This got me interested enough to read all the Hardy Boys mysteries I could find in the local library and put the Hardy Boys mystery series books I'd not found in libraries on my birthday and Christmas lists! Then I moved on to the Nancy Drew mysteries and then a group of mysteries with other main characters (Sue Barton?) I can hardly even recall, all published by the same publisher, Grosset & Dunlap!

TruHart1 :cool:

I adored “The 21 Balloons” by William Pène du Bois

I loved that book.

I remember liking Stuart Little at a young age. Charlotte's Web. Some book about Fog, or a foggy day at the beach. The Borrowers series was a favorite. Enright's Melendy Family series.

Had The Companion Library, a set of books, each with two novels bound together. Read one... turn the book over, read the other. Thats how I read the Twain books, Alcott, etc. Another favorite was Swiss Family Robinson._MG_0197-edit.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&w=880&h=880&fit=crop&crop=&auto=format

Movies often led me to books. One favorite in very early teens: The Egg and I. Wizard of Oz. As I hit teen years, Gone With The Wind. Airport.

I adored “The 21 Balloons” by William Pène du Bois. The Book involves Baloon Travel, Diamonds, and the explosion of the Island of Krakatoa. I first read it when I was 8 or 9, and it was so popular that you had to put your name on a waiting list in my school Library to borrow a copy of it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twenty-One_Balloons

I loved that too. I think either my 3 or 4th grade teacher or the librarian read it to us. Then I read it for myself.

In fact I bought the book a few years back to re-read it. :rolleyes:

Gman

My father had odd ideas about children, I think, but he did read to my brother and myself (although never to my sister). The Cruel Sea by Nicholas Monsarrat, and Bellarion by Rafael Sabatini, were two of my favourites, albeit one of them reduced me to tears on a regular basis. I also remember various Dornford Yates books and what I take it was an expurgated edition of the Decameron.

"Jo-jo The Talking Crow" - I loved that book. The boy finds a baby crow raises it, it grows up and builds a nest and starts to take anything shiny from the family and put it in his nest without them knowing - a mystery that the boy solves (maybe he was blamed for the disappearances - can't remember!). A little older - Rachel Carson's "The Sea Around Us" - I was totally captivated by the photos, one series of which were photographed in my home town, which led me to actually read about what I was seeing.

I had a teacher in 4th grade who rewarded good class behavior by reading chapters of the Hardy Boys mystery books out loud during daily quiet time. Those books always seemed to end chapters with large or small 'cliff-hangers!' Sometimes, she would be curious enough herself to continue to the next chapter, since the chapters were somewhat short.

http://www.originalmmc.com/images/HB1/HB1_TowerTreasure.jpg

This got me interested enough to read all the Hardy Boys mysteries I could find in the local library and put the Hardy Boys mystery series books I'd not found in libraries on my birthday and Christmas lists! Then I moved on to the Nancy Drew mysteries and then a group of mysteries with other main characters (Sue Barton?) I can hardly even recall, all published by the same publisher, Grosset & Dunlap!

TruHart1 :cool:

Sigh. I can't think of the Hardy Boys without thinking of all of the wet dreams they gave me as a teenager from that TV series....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgBj1nMqwmU

That one was with Tony Dow from Leave it to Beaver (that one was before my time)....

2c56e4d3147d4a115653f5828aeb9e35--parker-stevenson-the-hardy-boys.jpg

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/190/1364377130_7.jpg

http://application.denofgeek.com/pics/tv/hb03.jpg

The "Dr. Dolittle" series of books. Also The Wind in the Willows.

I read all the way through *all* of the Dr. Dolittle series 4 or 5 times. I think my favorite of the bunch was Dr. Dolittle and the Green Canary. But I also liked Willows ... In my late 20s, had a minor obsession about collecting oboes of various types (two oboes - one for safety, an english horn, an oboe d'amore), and when I got a new one, I'd look at my housemate and go "putt, putt, putt, putt", while shifting an imaginary gear-shift who definitely understood the reference

One favorite in very early teens: .... Wizard of Oz.

And of course there were other Oz books. Can't remember all the titles now, there was one about Ozma, and another centered around Tick-Tock.

But I also liked both Winnie the Pooh and House at Pooh Corner, and when I was much younger, the Dr. Seuss books.

616xpkgwCWL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Loved & collected Berenstain Bears all through elementary school <3 Watched the cartoon too back when it originally aired circa 1987 or so, & again when it re-aired in the early 90's lol

Now I know what I'll be giving my 7y/o nephew for his birthday next month... a box full of these wonderful books, along with the WWE videogame he wants. Thanks for starting this thread <3

And of course there were other Oz books. Can't remember all the titles now, there was one about Ozma, and another centered around Tick-Tock.

Most of the Oz books had simple titles. I'm almost positive your first one was titled either 'Ozma of Oz' or 'Princess Ozma of Oz' and only a little less certain that the second was 'Tick-Tock of Oz' or possibly if not that something like 'Tick-Tock The Mechanical Man of Oz.' I'd look them up. But it's 4:45 AM, and I have to get some sleep.

Gman

I really enjoyed the Madeline book series as a kid. I don’t remember much else other then Clifford the Big Red Dog and Curious George. In my teens I liked the Chronicles of Narnia and The Hobbit. I read Lord of the Rings but I remember that it was just too long and boring for the most part.

Disney published two books that my mother read to me over and over again because I loved them so much. "Mickey Mouse Visits the U.S.A." and "Donald Duck Visits South America". From those two book I probably developed my love of travel. She also read dozens of Golden Books to me. When I was a preschooler she read to me every night which I'm convinced led to my love of reading. To this day I spend a good portion of each day reading. My television is hooked up only to a DVD player because I do enjoy watching films.