HBO's Succession

This topic is 891 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 3 years later...

I really want to like this show.  But most of the characters are so unlikeable.  I don't know who to cheer for. Interesting story lines.  Liked the bit about the Father kinda "wink wink nod nod" helping the son out of being arrested for killing a waiter during a drug run. And the whole story line about the merger between the Helen Hunt character's company and the family's played out nicely.  And the acting is great. So many fine actors playing entitled rich elite so well.  But I need someone to gravitate toward.  A Miss Landingham on the West Wing.  Or one of the hot doctors on House.  Can't think of any character I'd want to have over for dinner. O well.  I will watch though.  I'm hooked.  Weird, huh?

2 hours ago, Becket said:

I really want to like this show.  But most of the characters are so unlikeable.  I don't know who to cheer for. Interesting story lines.  Liked the bit about the Father kinda "wink wink nod nod" helping the son out of being arrested for killing a waiter during a drug run. And the whole story line about the merger between the Helen Hunt character's company and the family's played out nicely.  And the acting is great. So many fine actors playing entitled rich elite so well.  But I need someone to gravitate toward.  A Miss Landingham on the West Wing.  Or one of the hot doctors on House.  Can't think of any character I'd want to have over for dinner. O well.  I will watch though.  I'm hooked.  Weird, huh?

This is where television and screenwriting is changing. 

A new generation of viewers doesn't care if their leads are classically likable or the 'Sam and Diane' of a show. They want razor sharp and, in this case, authentic.

I do see where you're coming from, which for me makes shows like Ted Lasso all that more enjoyable in adding to the mix.  

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

13 hours ago, Becket said:

Initially I had this reaction too, but now I just appreciate how each character manifests his/her unlikability in so many different ways.  Its a testament to the outstanding writing and acting of everyone involved.  I'm totally hooked.

The new format of long arc story telling is A+ for me when the writing and performances deliver. I need to restart Succession for that reason. Best to temper it with an occasional dip into BritBox panel channel - too much anti-hero makes this Jack a depressed boy.
Just now getting into Morning Show, love it so far. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...